Picture 1000’s of photos
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- The People’s Picture is the only photo mosaic project that collects and transforms photos into art and not gimmick.
- The many make up one iconic picture. This is always a choice that is enjoyable as it is challenging.
- Typically a photo mosaic contains 3,000 – 5,000 individual photos but can contain many more or many less.
- Guinness Book of World Record Holders – the largest photo mosaic in the world in 2006 The Big Picture was created out of 120,000 unique photos and assembled one by one.
- Space scientists have been assembling mosaics of this kind since at least as early as the Soviet Union space satellite missions to the moon in the late 1950s.
Every picture tells a story
The infinity of storytelling
- Every individual photo and collection is meticulously curated into one big collective story.
- Every photo takes pride of place and is hand picked and assembled digitally.
- Every person who submits a photo can also submit an accompanying story.
- The devil is in the detail – often close up the photo mosaic is the most rewarding experience.
Every project is bespoke
- For each project the story and concept comes first. What is it you want to say?
- Is it to celebrate, remember, promote or bring attention to an important issue?
- Did you have in mind a site, location and will it be temporary for an event or permanent or both?
- Is there an existing collection or archive to work with and how is it accessible or digitised?
- Do you wish to create new photos for the project such as portraits, scans of old photos, research photos online.
- Do you wish to run a social campaign that calls to action online and ensures the full participation of the community.
- Is the work going to be large scale or small scale, a big print work in a public space or a private space?
20 years of Expertise & Innovation
- Planning, communications and administration are seamless and necessary. Meet the artist team
- Using a systematic process all images are revised and edited to ensure minimum repeats and a perfect distribution.
- Subcontracted industry suppliers and professionals tried and tested for quality photo print, large scale installation, digital walls, screens, projection and online interaction.
- Durability and maintenance. Public Liability Insurance. Method Statements & Risk assessments.
- Finishes are bespoke including folds, framing, floating, graffiti proofing, UV exterior and ceramic photo surfaces.
- Keeping up to date with current trends and maintaining relationships with printing and technological imaging innovators.
- Creating accompanying catalogues, books, postcards, posters and limited edition reproductions.
Together we make it
- People are at the core of each project. People share their memories, dreams and celebrate through pictures.
- Each photo mosaic comprises thousands of photos that represents each and every individual.
- Working in a person centred way brings out the community as whole best assets.
- Everybody owns it which feels empowering and ensures the work lasts the test of time.
- Ownership creates lasting engagement.
Behind the Scenes
- Collecting the photos is often a very personal and interesting experience for everybody.
- Behind the photos there is often an interesting fanatical collector and personality.
- Photos are digitised and printed and collaged and assembled in a number of innovative ways.
- Concepts are mocked up, sites are chosen, scale and experimentation with numbers and dimensions.
- Digital paintin takes place, many versions are created before the final refinement takes place.
- Teams work together to piece together the large scale works
The Final Art Work
Unveiling & Celebrating
- An important part of the work is the build up and anticipation towards it’s final unveiling.
- A photo mosaic can be an act of celebration and remembrance and be the focus of an event.
- The People’s Picture project can be found in public spaces such as Gatwick Airport, Marketing suite and boardrooms such as Canary Wharf Group & West Ham United, Shopping Centres, Art Galleries, your home and on the Street!
See our projects here